Students with Learning Differences Maximize Their Potential
Neuro-diverse Learners/Special Needs
Learning differently should never be a barrier to college admissions or success. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms, including neuro-diverse learners that encompass conditions such as anxiety, autism/Asperger’s, dyslexia, ADHD and GTLD—as well as individuals with chronic illnesses that require special facilities and/or equipment.
Holding an advanced degree in educational psychology, our specialized counselor has focused study in the area of cognition and learning, and has special expertise in working memory and executive function. Our counselor has spent years studying learning disorders, and has served as a peer reviewer for the Journal of Learning Disabilities, the flagship journal for the study of learning differences.
Let us find the college where your child can succeed and become prepared for a personally rewarding career.
We love the challenge of finding and building on these students’ strengths and maximizing their potential.
Counseling for Neuro-diverse/Special Needs Students
In addition to all of the general college counseling services provided, our LD college counselors offer the following specialized knowledge and guidance:
Evaluation of LD student’s college needs
- Review of educational history, psychoeducational testing and accommodation plans
- In-depth interviews with students and parents—and possibly educational psychologist and teachers
- College readiness and personality/career assessments
Building a compelling academic profile
- Course selection related to your student’s special needs and skills
- Recommendation of academic & test prep tutors specializing in LD students
Educational strategies for LD students
- Whether/when to disclose learning differences
- Educational options, disability services and assistive technologies at specific colleges
- Remedial or developmental courses offered—or substitutions for math or foreign language requirements
- Finding “right fit” schools: academically challenging, LD supportive, and socially appropriate
- Identify schools with excellent career assessment and planning services for LD students
- Guidance on how to evaluate schools for specific needs of your student
Preparing for independence in college
- Guidance about required documentation to gain accommodations in college
- Strategies for developing self-advocacy to gain deserved support and accommodations—and to take full advantage of the support services available to them.